Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

CSUSM Library Award for Undergraduate Research Scholarship and Creative Activity

This page needs a TOC and each FAQ a box

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can apply for the award?

  • You can enroll if you are a Those who are CSUSM undergraduate student(s) or students at the time of project completion are encouraged to apply.

What kind of projects can be submitted?

  • We like all types of projects!  They can range from written research papers to creative works such as art, music, lyrics, poetry, dance, etc..

The project I want to submit was a required assignment for a class; is this eligible?

Yes! Many required assignments for your classes will meet the requirements for this award. Basically, if you had to incorporate outside information (which could range from journal articles, websites, artistic influences, and more) into your project, your project is probably likely eligible.

Can I submit a project I already completed?

  • Yes!  We encourage it.  We accept work that is/was created as part of a class or Independent Study at CSUSM during the following terms: Summer 2020, Fall 2020 or Spring 2021.

Do I really need a narrative explaining my research process?  Do you have an example of what that might look like?

Yes!  Remember, this is a LIBRARY research award so we look carefully at your research process.

I completed this project during Spring 2020 -- am I eligible to submit it for an award?

No, eligibility is limited to projects completed during the following terms: Summer 2020, Fall 2020, and Spring 2021.

I completed this project while working in a research lab at CSUSM. Many of us are working on the same research project; is this considered a "group project" or can I submit it as an individual?

If you completed a portion of the research project on your own and were required to conduct your own independent research, then you can submit it as an individual. If the work was truly collaborative (including research using outside information sources), then it must be submitted as a group.

I'm not sure which category (Creative Works, Empirical Research, or Interpretive Analysis) my project fits best. What should I do?

Please contact the award committee chair at with any questions regarding the category.

I will be graduating in December 2020; am I eligible to submit a project for the award?

Yes! As long as the project was completed at CSUSM during Summer or Fall 2020, it is eligible.

I conducted research/completed a project off-campus (for my job, at a different university, etc.); am I eligible to submit a project for the award?

Maybe. Your project must have been completed under the guidance of a CSUSM faculty/staff member. So, if it was for a CSUSM requirement (for example, study abroad), then your project is eligible for the award. If the project was completed for a different institution (for example, at another university under guidance of a non-CSUSM faculty/staff member), then it is not eligible.

Do I retain the rights to my work?

Students retain all rights to their work.  However, students must also grant a non-exclusive license to the university at the time of submission. The license confirms that the student is the creator and contributor of the work and grants the university permission to share the work in an open-access digital environment for educational purposes.

Students and any co-authors retain all intellectual property rights for their work. Students submitting materials for which they do not own copyrights, must certify that they have obtained permission from the copyright owner before making materials available online.

Students also give the university permission to make their work available to all users and to adapt it to accessible formats per American Disabilities Act (ADA) compliance requirements. Requests for use of the work for purposes other than education will be referred back to the copyright holder.